The first conference of the Egyptian Family House “Together against Terrorism” was held on Tuesday evening under the patronage of Dr. Ahmed Al-Tayeb, Sheikh of Al-Azhar, and His Holiness Pope Tawadros II Pope of Alexandria, The conference was attended by Ambassador Nabila Makram, Minister of Immigration, Dr. Mahmoud Hamdy Zaqzouq Secertary General of the Egyptian Family House and former Minister of Awqaf, His Eminence Bishop Ermia, General Bishop and Assistant Secretary General of the Family House, Governor of Cairo, Governor of Giza, Dr. Ali Gomaa, former Mufti of the Republic, Dr. Nasr Farid Wasel, former Mufti of the Republic, Dr. Mohamed Hussein elMahrasawy, President of AlAzhar University, Dr. Mohieldin Afifi, Secretary General of the Islamic Research Academy, and Dr. Mohammed Abu Zeid Al-Amir, Coordinator of the Family House.
The conference gives thirteen recommendations:
1. The participants affirm their strong rejection of all forms of violence and terrorism targeting armed forces, police, places of worship and civilians, and declare their solidarity and full support for the victims of these abhorrent acts.
2. To emphasize that the fight against terrorism and extremist thought is a national security issue. Therefore, we recommend the establishment of an integrated strategy to guide the Egyptian national consciousness toward the eradication of extremism, drying up terrorism funds, the renewal of religious discourse, cultural and media discourse in accordance with the current stage.
3. The meeting stressed that in light of the fact that terrorism has become global in terms of planning, support and financing, it requires, in addition to national efforts, Arab, regional and international cooperation to develop the binding international mechanisms to eliminate this serious scourge that has threatened many countries on the international level.
4. Production of works of art that address the issues of extremism and terrorism, including documentary films, documentaries and dramas in radio, television, cinema, theater and others, which lead to the consolidation of positive and national values.
5. Participants stressed that the fight against extremism and terrorism requires the development and support of police efforts because there is no economy development without security.
6. The participants in the conference also agreed on the necessity of activating these recommendations on the ground and raising them to the officials in the State to take the necessary practical measures to move them from the theoretical framework to application.
7. Recommend that the Egyptian family house hold future conferences to combat extremism and terrorism and recommend printing the words and researches in a special book after the review of the organizing committee and scientific committee of the conference and following up its implementation on the ground.
8. Emphasis on the rule of law and justice.
9. To consolidate the foundations of cooperation and participation between the Egyptian family house with all its committees and branches with ministers, bodies and institutions concerned with educational, cultural, media and social role such as ministries of education, higher education, culture and media.
10. The importance of the education, raising, building straight balanced personality by taking care of religious and national education curriculum and teaching values and ethics as a compulsory course and address real issues like extremism, terrorism and correcting misconceptions and consolidation of values common in different religions.
11. The necessity of purifying the curricula and TV programs of broadcasting or publishing hostile thoughts toward the other or the society or the country and modifying them in order to establish the values of moderation, mildness, acceptance of the other and patriotism.
12. The need to establish electronic media and cultural observatories to monitor the obscurantist ideas scattered on the web and analyze and evaluate and present it to the competent authorities.
13. The need to accelerate and intensify meetings, conferences and specialized seminars that consolidate the values of patriotism, citizenship and reject extremism and terrorism, especially among university youth and school children.