At the conclusion of the International Conference of “Pluralism and Peaceful Coexistence in Egypt” at the Coptic Orthodox Cultural Center, the conference issued a final statement delivered by Prof. Tarek Mansour – Thursday, May 4th, 2017 m
Believing in the importance of peaceful coexistence between citizens of one country and necessity to respect pluralism, Ain Shams university In collaboration with the Egyptian Family House, the Coptic Orthodox Cultural Center and Marburg University of Germany, organized the International Conference of “Pluralism and Peaceful Coexistence in Egypt” (Cairo 2-4 May 2017) sixteen countries representing Africa, Asia, Europe and North America, as well as the host country Egypt participated in the conference. The participants discussed the scientific and intellectual research presented in the conference’s axes, with a total of 70 researches, approached in 12 sessions, over three days, and discussed different very important topics and issues, and the participants agreed on a set of recommendations, as follows: ..
• The need for unity, cohesion and adherence of the society as one man to resist to destructive ideas and abhorrent acts targeting the unity of the homeland and the foundations of peaceful coexistence.
• The participants affirm their strong rejection of all forms of violence and terrorism against armed forces, Policemen, worship places and civilians from all Egyptian citizens, and declared their support and solidarity and their full support for the victims of those abhorrent acts.
• Emphasize the need to activate the role of educational institutions in all education stages (schools, universities and institutes), research institutions, and civil society institutions to instill and consolidate the foundations of peaceful coexistence.
• The need to quickly filter educational curricula in all education stages from all that contradict the foundations of peaceful coexistence and replace it with what support the unity of the nation and the safety societal virtue.
• Preserving the diverse cultural and historical heritage of the citizens of one nation and activating the civilization and cultural heritage of the Egyptian society as it is representing the “roots and reference” from which we derive spiritual, civilization and social values.
• Rejection and exclusion of all that would be calling for the fragmentation of society or refuse the other or prejudice the values of peaceful coexistence.
• Mutual respect among people of different religious beliefs, refusal to insult or disrespect others, and respect the freedom of thought within the framework of respect of the foundations of peaceful coexistence.
• Appeal to the Supreme Council of Media to develop a media plan aiming at instilling and consolidating the values of peaceful coexistence between Egyptians .. And take measures and actions to achieve this goal.
• The rule of law and justice are the safety valve of our nation against destructive ideas, blind extremism and black terrorism.
• Cooperation with the League of Arab States and Arab national institutions for the dissemination of peaceful coexistence in Egypt experience in the rest of the Arab countries .
• The conference participants also agreed on the necessity of activating these recommendations practicly … and sending them to the state officials .. to take the necessary measures to move from the framework of theorizing to application, and from theoretical ideas to the practical and procedural actuality.
• Recommend that the conference be held annually on the local level and every two years on the international level, and recommend to print speeches and research papers in a book, after being reviewed by the Scientific Committee of the Conference.
4 May 2017